According to Idobi, Steve Klein, former guitarist of New Found Glory, was arraigned in a San Luis Obispo, California court on December 12, 2013 for charges that include “lewd conduct with a minor under the age of 14” and possession of child pornography. Klein has pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Klein was not jailed after the arraignment and will remain free until his next court appearances, which are scheduled for March 20th and April 10th.
Here is a summary of Klein’s charges:
- 2 counts of lewd conduct with a minor under the age of 14
- 3 counts of lewd conduct with a minor 14 or 15
- 1 count of intent to commit lewd acts with a minor
- 1 count of possession of child pornography
As of right now, Stephen Klein is not a registered sex offender, according to California’s “Megan’s Law” database.
Klein’s attorney, Debra White, has made the following statement:
“It is a difficult challenge to defend oneself in the media when there is a pending criminal case. This is because people are quick to assume that if a person is charged with a crime, they are also guilty as charged. And it is especially difficult because criminal defense attorneys insist that their clients not talk about the case to ensure that their constitutional rights are protected. Furthermore, attorneys are limited by law as to what can and cannot be said about a case to the public.
In the matter of Steve Klein, since his case has now been brought into issue by the media, I am permitted to make a few statements. To that effect, I offer you the following indisputable facts about the accusations:
1. Steve Klein is not accused of having any lewd actual physical contact with any minor.
2. ALL charges against Steve are derived solely from online consensual video chats between Steve and some female strangers he met on an adult website. Steve believed the females were over the age of 18.
3. The females alleged to be “minors” in this case are not known females. This means that no one, not the prosecution, not the police, and not the defense, actually know who the females are and no one knows their true age.
4. The possession of child pornography charge is based solely on Steve allegedly “possessing” the videos of chats with the female strangers from the adult website.
This is about all I am permitted to disclose at this time. But I can tell you, from my many years of experience in this specialty area of criminal defense, I wholeheartedly believe that Steve Klein is innocent of all of these charges.
Steve is devastated by these accusations. He has lost his band, his livelihood, and his ex-wife continues to push for full custody of his children using this case as her pawn while he literally fights for his life. Despite this heavy hand, Steve remains strong and hopeful that he will be vindicated.”
For more info, visit Alternative Press.