You do not want to know how many times I’ve watched Titanic over the course of my life. I won’t even tell you. Instead, what I’ll do is chart the top five most underrated quotes from my favorite movie ever and hope that you enjoy. Go see it again – it’s even more magical the second time around. –Christina Drill
5. “Var e Sven?” – One of Jack’s roommates
- When: After Jack Dawson and Fabrizio board the Titanic. They’re flipping out about having won these ship tickets in a poker game from a Swede named Sven, and when they get to their room in steerage, Sven’s friends are like, “Where’s Sven?” in Swedish. Watch here.
- Why it’s good: It’s in Swedish.
- Another good quote is when Jack says to another dude during the poker game, “Olaf, you’ve got squat.”
4. “And that’s a big ass, we’re talking 20 to 30,000 tons. Okay?” – Bovine
- When: Early on in the film. When Bovine is explaining to Old Rose and Lizzie the logistics of how the Titanic sank. The “ass” is in reference to Titanic’s stern.
- Why it’s good: It’s in the presence of Old Rose. It’s unnecessary and cringe-worthy. It sounds like dialogue a film student would write.
3. “A woman’s heart is a deep ocean of secrets. But now you know that there was a man named Jack Dawson, and that he saved me. In every way that a person can be saved. I don’t even have a picture of him. He exists now only in my memory.” – Old Rose
- When: After Rose gives her name as “Rose Dawson” to the Carpathia steward. Listen here.
- Why it’s good: Because! Read it! Doesn’t it make you swooooon?
2. “Wait! I don’t have to leave. This is my part of the ship. You leave.” – Rose
- When: Jack and Rose’s “first date,” as they’re walking along the deck. After bickering about whether or not Rose loves Cal Hockley (her fiancee, played by Billy “I’m So Evil and Hot” Zane).
- Why it’s good: Their whole argument is good, really. Rose being a brat is good. Click here and skip to 5:09 to watch QT Rose and QT Jack have their first “fight.”
1. “YOU’RE SO STUPID ROSE! WHY’D YOU DO THAT, HUH? YOU’RE SO STUPID!” -Jack
- When: The number one most underrated quote from Titanic is at the end of this scene: Jack and Cal, side by side, watch from the ship as Rose is lowered to safety in her lifeboat. At the last minute, as the lifeboat is dropped level to the lower deck, Rose jumps off the lifeboat and back onto the sinking ship, where she is reunited with a flabbergasted Jack at the bottom of the grand staircase.
- Why it’s good: James Cameron may be the corniest, but whatever. This is a pure, heartrending, Hollywood moment.